Monday, January 13, 2014

Beefy Colorado Style Enchilada Bake - Freezer Meal

So here is Freezer Meal number 2 for the week. Again I'll have to post our love for it when I cook it and eat it.

I also had several ingredients again, I can't remember exactly what we paid for our grassfed beef but I think it worked out to 3.78 lb which makes it expensive for burger meat but cheap for steaks and roasts..

Ingredients :
2 lbs ground beef = 7.56 (3.78lb)
1 Medium onion, diced = .48 a lb
2 TBS Taco seasoning = had it
1 lg can diced green chili's = already had
1 16 oz jar green salsa = 1.68
Salt and pepper to taste = already had it

Tortillas = Free, or rather left over but I think I would have used 12 total and I paid 1.88 for my package
2 lbs shredded cheese = 5.78

For the Sauce:
1 30 oz can red enchilada sauce = 1.71
1 30 oz can green enchilada sauce = 1.71
1 cup sour cream = had it already
3 tbs milk = I bought a gallon for 2.60

2 Foil pans = 1.55 (roughly 2 qt)

Total =  22.35 roughly

This easily made two pans which works out to just over $11 each (and I know we'll both have lunch the next day). If you don't use grass fed beef you could save a significant amount of money, but I prefer my humanly raised meat thank you. (insert HUGE grin)

Anyhow, onto the method. I was leery I would regret not making enough for dinner but this went together so quickly.

Brown beef and onion in a very large skillet. Once cooked, drain fat and add seasonings, salsa and chili's and simmer to allow flavors to meld.

For the sauce, combine the ingredients.

Layer 1 cup sauce or so into the bottom of the pan, top with tortillas just to make one layer (in my case 2 overlapped a bit) then use 1/4 of the meat, top with cheese and sauce, continue to layer (I made two meat layers) then top the final tortilla layer with sauce and cheese.

I wrapped tightly with plastic wrap and foil. Labeled.

To cook:
Thaw completely, bake at 350* about 20 minutes. top with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, olives and sour cream if you like.

1 comment:

  1. Well, it looks like there will be more perks helping with baby, besides the huge one of holding a sweet new life. That food looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete