Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Sweet and SPICY pumpkin soup


I told you I'm in love with pumpkin didn't I? Don't be surprised to keep seeing pumpkin recipes floating around. LOVE them.

This soup was HOT, I'm going to post it as it is in the cook book , but I thoroughly recommend you reduce the cayenne if you don't like it hot.

Also, I used fresh pumpkin that I roasted myself. Ms. Godreau says you can use canned pumpkin if you need, but that the maximum flavor will come from fresh


3 TBS water
1 medium yellow onion chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cardamom
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (reduce for less heat!)
2 cups vegetable stock
15 oz or just under two cups pureed pumpkin
2 TBS pure maple syrup
juice from 1/2 a lemon
2 cups non dairy milk (I used coconut original)

Heat water in a soup pot and use to saute garlic and onion, about 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in seasonings, add vegetable stock, pumpkin, syrup, and lemon juice and simmer for about 15 minutes or so.

Stir in the milk, then puree using a hand blender or blender. Eat!

Man, super good, both the husband and I ate big bowls, we did think it was HOT, but used some whole grain bread to sop it up and tone it down a touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment