Thursday, January 13, 2011

Potato Leek Soup

Potato Leek soup, of the non- crock pot variety. I don't have a whole lot of experience with soups yet so this will be fun.
It's another one of my favorite Colleen Patrick Goudreau's recipes. Out of her book "The Vegan Table". I of course didn't follow it to a "T" so I posted what I actually did.


Ingredients:
1 TBS Earth Balance (non-hydrogenated and non-dairy) or oil
3 Leeks, white and light green parts, washed and sliced
1/2 medium sized yellow onion coarsely chopped
4 cloves of garlic, minced
5 Large yellow potatoes peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes or so
6 cups vegetable stock and 1 cup water (or any variation)
2 TBS Tarragon (whoops I forgot this when I was shopping! I used 1 TBS Italian)
salt and pepper


Method:
Heat non-dairy butter (or oil) in a large sized soup pot over medium heat. Add leaks and onion and saute for 5-7 minutes or until onion becomes translucent. Add garlic and cook for about 1 more minute.


Add potatoes, vegetable stock (or water) and seasoning. Simmer for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.


Remove soup from heat and use either an immersion blender or blender to puree at least half of the soup (CAREFUL, I'M HOT) about a cup at a time (I did about 2 cups at a time). 


Transfer back to pot and heat until warm. Season with salt and pepper.


I ate my first bowl as is. I offered the Omni other half some cheese (making it vegetarian and NOT vegan). He thought it was so amazing with cheese that I had to try another bowl with a bit of cheese added in to taste. 

Personally I thought both ways were VERY tasty! And after asking how he liked it, my beloved said he would gladly eat it again and commented "huh, tasty soup comes out of a blender!"
With added Cheese
Non-cheesed

No comments:

Post a Comment