Monday, January 3, 2011

Pan Grilled Marinated Mushrooms

Okay. I wasn't sure how having a portobello mushroom "steak" would go over to be honest. I mean I LOVE them on burgers but all alone? Boy was this a good idea to try!
Again another recipe from my favorite Colleen Patrick Goudreau's "Vegan Table"

Marinade Ingredients: I halved the liquid but kept the dry herbs the same I will post what I did
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1 TSP Oregano (dried)
1 TSP Rosemary (dried)
1 TSP Thyme (dried)

4 Portobello mushrooms (this marinade could have easily made 6 or more)

Method:
Cut off the stems of the mushrooms and wipe gentle with a damp paper towel.



Mix up the marinade.
Place mushrooms in marinade and place in fridge for 30 minutes or up to overnight.





In a medium to large frying pan heat a generous amount of oil. Place mushrooms TOP DOWN and cook for 3-4 minutes (reserve marinade). When browning occurs flip the mushrooms and brown on the bottom. After 3-4 minutes add in some marinade and cover. Reduce heat to low and cook until tender. What the liquid amount as you may need to add a little more as it cooks off. Continue this method until all mushrooms are done.

We had ours with creamy mashed potatoes (made with the Earth Balance and the water from boiling the potatoes), steamed veggies and Italian Herb rolls.

It was splendid! My Beloved Omni even said " Man I never thought I would eat a mushroom all by itself but WOW this is good!" He even asked me to make it again *grin*

2 comments:

  1. Wow, healthy and delicious! You can't beat that! Also, it looks like it is a pretty quick meal to fix, except for the marinating part. You scored:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well the marinating is only required for 30 minutes. I did about.. 10 hours worth? It think? it was really easy and really fast too!

    ReplyDelete