Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Home Baked Whole Wheat (grain) Bread

I apologize ahead of time to all you gluten free (GF) folks out there. 


Last night I was craving some good rich whole grain bread. Many people would take this opportunity to run to the store, not me! Not only do I love home baked bread so much more than conventional store bought, but having only one car, your husband on the complete opposite shift and living practically in the boonies will spark creativity *smirk, I would have made it any how but I did have a good reason aside from my budding home wifiness*


Enter the bread maker. There is something to be said for a neat, quiet machine that will take all the messy work out of baking bread. Some days I love to get right on in it and use my hands (and for most breads I make I do) But some days you just want to be lazy and not have to worry about a thing, let alone crank on the oven.


Ingredients:
1 5/8 cup (12oz) warm water (about 80*F)
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tsp salt
3 2/3s cup Whole wheat flour
1/2 cup Spelt flour
1/2 cup Kamut Flour
3 tsp active dry yeast


Add all ingredients to bread machine according to manufacturer. In my case that meant in the order listed making a well in the flour for the yeast.
Select "whole wheat" setting and this time I went for a "light" crust. Press start and go take a break!


Now for the fun part, I check on it nearing the end of it's first "mix" cycle and boy was it dry! So i added a smidge more water.. OH NO now it's too wet. so I let it go through it's first "rest" after it began mixing again sprinkled just a tad more flour in. Now I figured I had somehow managed to botch this batch which really does take effort  to do.


Alas I was mistaken. For the first time since owning my bread machine and some 6 loaves in it later, and several hand mixed home made breads, I finally managed to tempt my machine to make a perfect loaf! That's right perfect! It was my first loaf in the machine that didn't fall in on itself! All of them have tasted great to OK but none from the machine have ever actually resembled "conventional" bread. As you can gather I was/am thrilled.


I will attempt to update this tonight or tomorrow with pictures of the perfection (yes it tastes that way too!)

3 comments:

  1. Sob, sob, sob.

    Ok. I'll stop feeling sorry for myself now. ;)

    Your comment about "budding home wifiness" made me giggle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your posts. You are such an entertaining writer!:) And , I agree, there's nothing like the smell and taste of yummy, homemade bread. Too bad it has to come with calories included!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay Sarah you are probably WAY better at this than me but I would say it could be made and taste almost if not as good using; amaranth, Teff, Sorguhm and brown rice flour!

    My Husband is back on days so I should be back in the groove soon.. ;)

    ReplyDelete