* 1 roasting chicken 4-5 lbs
* Salt and pepper
* 1 bunch fresh thyme, leaves removed except from 3-5 stems
* 5 garlic cloves minced
* 1 lemon
* 2 tbs melted butter or olive oil
* 1 large yellow onion
* 4 -6 carrots cut into chunks
* 3 medium turnips cut into chunks
* 2 beets cut into chunks
Preheat oven to 400*
Mix thyme leaves, garlic and salt and pepper, juice from the lemon and 1 TBS butter or olive oil in a bowl.
Stuff half the onion , the lemon rind and the 3-5 thyme leaves into the cavity of the chicken.
Rub the chicken all over (including under the skin) with the seasoning rub you made
Place the chicken onto a rimmed baking sheet or roasting pan.
Toss vegetables with 1 TBS butter or oil and season with a bit of salt and pepper, and scatter around chicken.
Roast until chicken is done (165*) approx. 1-1.5 hours
Let chicken rest for 10 minutes before slicing