Friday, January 17, 2014

Baked French Toast - Freezer Meal

Okay, I ended up making 5 8x8 casseroles. And Still have enough apple filling left over to probably make one more. Not sure if this will end up being dinner tonight or if I'll find another solution for the apples left over. This looked SOOO good while I was assembling, I'll have to let you know how it tastes either if I make it tonight or at a later date.

2 Loaves sliced French bread (roughly 6 slices each casserole)=3.52 Each
1 21 oz can of pie filling of your choice (I used half a can of each per recipe) 
   - Cherry = 2.48
   - Blueberry = 3.84
   - Apple = 2.96
1/2 cup cream cheese per casserole = Unsure I used some left over from a previous costco trip)
1/2 tsp cinnamon 
Drizzle of maple syrup = expensive, I buy the real, good stuff.
5 8 x 8 Foil pan = 3 @.89
6 eggs per casserole = 18 @ 2.02 
1 Cup milk per recipe =  .17 (16 cups in 1 gallon @ 2.60)

Total for all 5 (plus extra pic filling) $22.02 OR $4.04 each
Your cost will be more since you'll know how much you spent on cream cheese and syrup.

Method Describes making one 8x8 pan

Cube 3 sliced french bread, place into 8x8 pan. Top with cubed 1/2 cup cream cheese. Spoon about 1/4 pie filling over that. Cube another 3 slices bread and place on top. Blend 6 eggs and 1 cup of milk, pour over bread mixture. Dollop another 1/4 can of pie filling over the top. Drizzle on maple syrup and shake on however much cinnamon you think you'll like.

I then wrapped in plastic wrap and then foil. Dating and labeling.

TO EAT
Thaw completely. Bake foil covered at 350* for 30 minutes, remove foil and bake another 30 minutes. Remove from oven and dish out, adding maple syrup or powdered sugar as you please.





No comments:

Post a Comment