Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Pumpkin Enchiladas

Disclaimer; Just because a recipe isn't our favorite doesn't necessarily mean it isn't worth making. My Husband prefers "home-style" cooking, if out of a box (hamburger helper, cough cough) can be called that. He does like "real food" but his preference is for more basic flavors generally, and salt. Now he does like some things out of that range, but that is generally a good guideline for him.
Me, I'm eclectic, I don't particularly care for meat, I like bursting fresh flavors, I like layers of depth  and I do like more "home-style" meals too, I mean who doesn't?

Now, onto the recipe. This was good. Not something I can say I would make again, at least exactly the same. I fed it to another family member who also said it was good, but the overwhelming flavor was all the chicken. Every bite was bursting with it (ugh) and the chicken was fairly bland to the absolutely KILLER sauce.

Without further ado;
I took the recipe from here, the sauce was AMAZING, but the innards needed some help in my opinion.

1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 cup chicken, cooked and diced (I poached mine in broth with a bay leaf and italian seasoning)
1/2 cup pumpkin
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cumin
Dash of salt & pepper
8 corn 6 flour tortillas
1 cup queso fresco Monterrey jack cheese shredded

1/4 cup scallions some cilantro 

__________________________________________________________________________



To poach chicken; fit snugly into a pan and cover with broth mixed with about 1 tsp Italian seasonings and 1 bay leaf. bring to a boil, slightly cover and reduce to a simmer, cooking for about 15 minutes. Then remove from heat and cover completely with lid for 15-20 minutes more.









In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat, then add the onion slices. Saute until brown and caramelized, about 5 15 minutes. Add the chicken to the pan, stirring it to mix with the caramelized onions, then remove from the heat. In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, cream, broth, cinnamon, nutmeg, cumin, salt and pepper. Spoon chicken mixture into the tortilla's, rolling them tightly and placing in a medium-sized baking dish. Once all enchiladas have been rolled, spread the pumpkin cream sauce over the top. Sprinkle generously with Queso Fresco Monterrey jack cheese, then bake in an oven preheated to 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or just until the tips of the cheese begins to brown. Garnish with cilantro prior to eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment