Saturday, June 23, 2012

Egg in the Hole

A common recipe I imagine. This variation is from "The Meat Lovers Meatless Cookbook"
We served ours with Latke, which ironically I wasn't too crazy about, yes father, should you read this I have no met a potato I didn't like, lol. I think I just cooked it a bit too much

Latke:
2 1/2 tsp salt
1 large potato, cleaned well
1/4 medium onion grated
black pepper
3 TBS Oil

Place WHOLE potato in 4 cups boiling water with 2 tsp salt. Boil 22 minutes. Transfer to ice bath for ten, peel skin and grate potato. combine with onion (squeeze excess liquid from onion prior to combining)and pepper.

IN a 10" skillet heat oil, flatten potato mixture into the pan and cook about 12 minutes over med/high heat. Flip (You can use the cutting board technique, which is place a cutting board over the pan, flip, then slide mixture back into the pan...) then cook about 10 minutes more.

I thought I over did it that's why i recommend med/high heat instead of high.

Egg In The Whole:
4 slices bread
3 TBS oil
1/2 cup minced shallot
6 Cups greens, washed, stemmed and dried
1 tsp salt
Cayenne
4 Large eggs
Cheese (optional)

Preheat the oven to 325*F

Cut whole in the bread using a cup upside down or biscuit cutter.

In an oven proof 12" skillet (or cook in a skillet and transfer into a baking dish).

Heat oil, then cook shallot until tender, add greens, keep them moving to keep them from burning, add water if necessary. Salt and cayenne greens, then depending on which skillet method you're using, Either place bread slices right on top, or transfer greens to the baking dish and place bread slices on top. Crack an egg into each hole, top with cheese if you prefer, and drizzle with olive oil. Bake about 15-17 minutes depending on the firmness desired.


YUM! This part was BOMB, I don't know that I would have thought to add greens but it was delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment