Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Lentil Dal with Cumin Onion

Dal. Never had it before. I have to admit I exchanged red for green lentils and as a result it was more... put together. Meaning it didn't "puree" down as much naturally, and perhaps changed the flavor some? Who knows.

The three of us (me and two Omnis) thought it was pretty good.





I thought two bites in, "Okay this is different, but good." and it kept getting better, I would certainly eat it again.
My Omni thought "YIKES", about a third of the way in he thought it was better, although he said he probably wouldn't request it again, the onions were his favorite part
Our "Other Omni" thought it was interesting, and would eat it again.
I have to wonder if the red lentils would have made it fantastic...

I served it with Flat bread (not GF).
Prepped lots of ingredients while my flat bread was rising

2 cups lentils, picked through and rinsed
6 cups water
about a 1" x 1" piece ginger peeled but left whole
1 cinnamon stick
1 garlic clove peeled but left whole
1/4 tsp Turmeric
Prior to cooking

Bring to a lively simmer, reduce and cover and cook for about 30-35 minutes. Then remove Garlic, Ginger and Cinnamon Stick. Salt to taste (I thought it needed a decent amount)
Then Stir in
2 cups chopped spinach







MEANWHILE

In a skillet heat 
3 TBS oil
1 1/2 tsp Cumin Seed (for 15 seconds only)

then stir in and cook until edges begin to brown
1 cut onion (cut in half and then half moons)
1 clove garlic diced
1 handful sliced grape tomatoes.

Stir onions into Dal, and if you please add a little squeeze of lemon juice just prior to serving.


UPDATED 9/26/11
Made with the Red lentils
Made it with the red lentils. WHOA totally different. everyone enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment