Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls

More pictures to follow, but here is one loan from my beloved sister.

As some of you know I am currently visiting my sister Sarah. We have been baking up a storm, and she has been treating me to tasty dinners, all of which are gluten free, and only one of which has been omni.

Today, when I was watching the girls we decided to surprise their prego mommy with a craving she has mentioned. CINNAMON ROLLS.

Mind you I have done limited GF baking, and to top it off her eldest and I decided pumpkin cinnamon rolls sounded A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. So we took a recipe from "Whole Life Nutrtion" and customized it.

1/2 cup water (over 90* under110* F)
1 tsp sugar
2 1/4 tsp yeast (1 packet)

1 cup soy milk
1/4 cup honey (to make these vegan use Agave Nectar)
2 Tbs Oil
1/2 cup pureed pumpkin

3 cups GF flour (we used an Almond blend I will have to find online and link up to, it is SO GOOD)
1 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp salt

Filling:
Earth balance or melted coconut oil about 1/4 cup
cinnamon
sugar

Method:
Proof yeast with water and sugar in a bowl or measuring cup for 5 minutes. If it doesn't foam, start over.

In a small sauce pan heat soy milk, honey, and oil until about 100* F. Stir in yeast mixture.

With an electric mixer combine pureed pumpkin with all other wet ingredients.

In a separate bowl, stir together dry ingredients, then using the mixer combine all ingredients until thoroughly combined.

Turn dough out onto a floured surface, roll into a ball and then flatten into a rectangle.

Grease a few pie plates or glass baking dishes and set aside.

Spread melted EB or oil over dough, sprinkle with sugar and then cinnamon. Roll dough into a log starting at the long end.

Then cut into rolls about 1-2" thick.

Place into grease pans and cover with plastic wrap, allow to rise about 40 minutes.

Then bake in a preheated oven (350* F) for about 40 minutes.

SO SO GOOD! The kids loved them, two of which wanted them even without frosting. Their dad? I hear he is tough to please. He ate two of them right off the bat. I am thinking we had a success!

3 comments:

  1. Indeed, these are the best GF cinnamon rolls I have ever tasted. Ever. They are AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You lost me at "proof the yeast" ... I feel like such a kitchen-simpleton! I have no idea what that means... my first mental image was handing something called yeast (in a bag? a box? A powdery substance? a fluid? I dunno...) a page of geometry homework. We are so lucky we'll be having your prowess in our kitchen for thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete