Thursday, September 15, 2011

Summer Vegetable Soup

Soup, in the summer? YES! And boy was it delicious, although a wee bit noodle heavy, which was my fault.


Recipe was adapted from "The whole Life Nutrition"
Ingredients:
Olive Oil
1/2 large white onion, diced
3 Cloves of garlic, crushed/minced
3 carrots (medium to large) diced
Green beans, steams removed and trimmed into one inch or so pieces
2-3 cups fresh diced tomatoes
8 cups broth (I used "Imagine NO Chicken")
2-3 cups water
1 Zucchini diced
1 Yellow Summer Squash diced
1/4 cup fresh chopped herbs (I totally winged it using, Chives, majoram, basil and oregano)
1-2 cups elbow pasta
Salt and pepper to taste

Method:
IN a large stock pot, heat oil and begin to saute onion, add carrots and garlic, careful not to brown and saute until the onions are translucent. Add stock, tomatoes and green beans, boil/simmer for approximately 8 minutes, add noodles and cook according to directions (mine took 8 minutes) about halfway through add diced squash and herbs. Simmer an additional few minutes.

Basically till you like the "done-ness" of the veggies.

A great addition the recipe calls for but I didn't end up having time to grab is fresh greens.

You could easily leave out the noodles and add beans (the original recipe does NOT call for noodles).

I thought it was delicious! I served it alongside a "whole grained and honey" bread. Next time I will go easy on the noodles and add some beans YUM.

For you omnis out there I did add some gently sauteed turkey sausage for the meat eaters in this house, although my omni thought it was plenty good without it.

1 comment:

  1. Can you ever really be too noodle heavy? Just add the beans... :)

    ReplyDelete