Monday, September 19, 2011

Minestrone

Okay I have to be honest I have no idea if this would have been GF without the noodles. Any GF followers want to comment?


Ingredients:
Olive Oil (about 1 Tbs)
1/2 medium onion, diced
6 cloves of garlic, diced
3 stalks of celery, diced
2 carrots peeled and diced
1/2 Tsp dried rosemary
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4-1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup chopped fresh oregano
2 Tbs chopped fresh thyme (blast I knew I forgot something!)
8 cup stock (I used half no chicken and half vegetable both GF)
2 cups water (optional)
4 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/4-1/2 lb fresh green beans trimmed and cut into 2" sections or a bit smaller
2 zucchini diced
1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
1 can Kidney beans (I opted this out due to my omnis preference)                                                                                                                                                                 1 cup pasta - not cooked *optional
1 cup parsley (SHOOT another thing I forgot!)

**seems daunting but SO worth it! Even with the things I forgot it was amazing, better than I have had anywhere else.

Heat oil in stock pot and add onion, saute a few minutes then add carrot, garlic, celery and fresh herbs (all ingredients up to the stock) and saute about 5 minutes more, stirring frequently
Add stock, paste and tomatoes, bring to a simmer.
Add green beans, zucchini, beans and uncooked noodles and cook until pasta is done.
Remove from heat and now would be the time to add the parsley.

This soup was simply scrumptious! It was hearty and flavorful, best I have had, and I am not just tooting my own horn, seeing what I forgot I can't wait to make it again. My omni's only request was next time to use home made broth or all "No Chicken" he thought there were plenty of vegetables in it without needing to add the slightly carroty vegetable broth too. But all in all he said he would certainly eat it again! We enjoyed this soup with fresh green salad and home made rolls




I added a bit of Turkey sausage to my Omni's portion  upon his request, he did however, like it without the meat

No comments:

Post a Comment