Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Raspberry Lemon Muffins

So as I know I posted about I bought Colleen Patrick-Goudreau's latest book "Color Me Vegan" (yes it had been on my birthday list and I did get too impatient, surprise, surprise).
This is the first recipe I have tried out of it. I REALLY urge everyone (meat eaters and non) to pick up a cook book by her. You will NOT be disappointed and I feel that it's not  fair of me to post her recipes for free.

However after tasting the batter (yes the best part of vegan baking is that everyone, pregnant and non, can taste the batter without fear of getting sick!) I decided I simply HAD to post this recipe if for no other reason than to get you to try it yourself and hopefully prompt you to then purchase her book *grin*

*Vegan, Dairy free, Soy free (as long as you use soy free yogurt and milk like I did)

Ingredients:
1 6 oz container non dairy yogurt (I used SO Delicious Coconut Yogurt in Vanilla flavor)
1/2 cup non dairy milk (I used Vanilla Almond Milk)
3 TBS Canola Oil
Juice from 1 lemon (about 2 TBS)
1/2 TSP lemon extract *optional (I didn't use)
1 1/2 cup pastry flour (I used organic white whole wheat)
3/4 Cup Sugar
2 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp lemon zest
1 Cup fresh or frozen raspberries (I used fresh)

Method:
Preheat oven to 400* F and line 2 6 cup muffin tins with paper cups.
Zest your lemon, then juice. (Best if done at room temp)

In a bowl mix the first 5 ingredients (wet) until blended.

In a large bowl mix all remaining ingredients (except raspberries) until blended, stir in wet ingredients and mix until just combined, gently fold in berries. Spoon into muffin tins and bake 20-25 minutes or until the top bounces back when pushed.

Cool the muffins.

I have to admit that in fear of over cooking and causing the muffins to dry out too much, I think I pulled mine a bit too early, I will have to check again once they have actually cooled, I couldn't, however, wait to eat one, so I pulled it right out of the pan (yes it was ridiculously hot) and scarfed it down.

HEAVEN, literally I am having to hold myself back to keep me from rushing into the kitchen and eating all 11 that remain!

*Did you know if your muffins fall like mine did that you overfilled the pan a bit?

1 comment: