Saturday, January 1, 2011

Pumpkin Spice Bread

I'm not sure I know anyone who wouldn't like Pumpkin bread (except my mother). I have made it before from a box, so I figured better try my hand and home made! PLUS this is the recipe out of "The Joy of Vegan Baking" by Colleen Patrick Goudreau.


Ingredients;
4 1/2 TSP Ener-G Egg Replacer
(equivalent of 3 eggs)
6 TBS water
2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 15 oz can pumpkin puree
3 cups all purpose unbleached flour
1 TSP ground cloves
1 TSP ground cinnamon
1 TSP nutmeg
1TSP baking soda
1/2 TSP baking powder
1/2 TSP salt

Method:
Preheat oven to 350* F. and lightly oil 2 8 inch loaf pans

In a food processor or with a hand blended mix egg replacer until light and fluffy.


In a large bowl stir together pumpkin, sugar, egg replacer, and applesauce.








In a medium sized bowl thoroughly blend together ALL dry ingredients.



Add dry ingredients to wet and stir until JUST COMBINED.

Spoon batter into the two loaf pans and bake for 55-60 minutes or until you can insert a toothpick and have it come out "clean".

Let the bread cool at least 20 minutes before removing from the loaf pan (continues to cook).


I added a bit too much water (when making my Ener-G, so follow the recipe I POSTED) so they came out a little.. dense but man alive are they sure tasty!

Now for my sister's benefit this is what my kitchen looks like less than 15 minutes after putting the loaves into the oven.

**Note to the Baker. I find it is much easier to get all the ingredients out and measured A HEAD of time, that way I know A. that I have everything and B. I don't have to wash and dry the measuring cups multiple times while mixing (which can cause bread to over leaven, become dense, or other such issues)


No comments:

Post a Comment