Monday, January 31, 2011

"Beefy" Mexican Casserole

"Beefy" you ask? Yep. Except by "beefy" I am implying completely meat free. Trust me, you WILL NOT miss the meat in this dish. This is one of the items this week that could be made ahead, mixed up and stored in the refrigerator (possibly even freezer) for a few days and then cooked at your convenience. A great recipe for left over rice as well.


Ingredients:
2-3 cups cooked rice
1 lb or so meatless sub (I used Quorn)
A bit of olive oil for sauteing
salt and pepper to taste
1 16 oz jar of salsa
1 can corn, drained
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup -1 cup pepper-jack cheese, shredded 
*** this would be plenty BUT I did add a bit of diced onion and pepper to my rice***


Method:
Preheat oven to 375*F
If cooking rice, get it cooking. Cover rice with just enough water and toss in diced onion and peppers (optional).


In a medium skillet use a bit of oil and brown up your meat substitute and season with salt and pepper. 
Stir in corn and salsa and keep on heat until just warm.
Stir in 1 cup cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup of sour cream.


Add "filling" and rice to a baking dish and stir in rice. Top with pepper-jack cheese and bake for 15-25 minutes or until hot and bubbly (if cooking from frozen cooking time may vary)












It was SO good! I can't say I added the exact amount of cheese posted, I think in honesty I added less 
cheddar and about 2/3 pepper-jack.




This was super as a casserole but would probably be just as good in tortillas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment