Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Chicken Cacciatore, sort of

Well I have never actually eaten cacciatore so I'm not 100% sure this recipe qualifies.
Again I will cover both meatless and meat-ed eating. The crock pot in used for the latter.


A little note about why I use frozen chicken in the crock pot. It's really pretty simple. chicken cooks MUCH faster than most meats, if I leave thawed chicken in the Crockpot for all 10+ hours I am at work, we come home to shredded overdone chicken. Starting frozen or mostly frozen gives the Crockpot a little more work to do and helps keep the chicken more, well, chicken-y.


Ingredients: (meat-ed)
Chicken breast (frozen)
Marinara, home made or jarred, about 1/2 16 oz jar give or take
*this is the first time I have used marinara instead of "making my own" from cans, i'll list that variation at the end
1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 can mushrooms, drained and rinsed


Cook on Low for 8-10 hours if using frozen breasts.


Serve over pasta noodles, you should have ample sauce left over





For the meatless use your favorite chicken sub. Reserve some of the mushrooms, sauce and diced tomatoes and place in the fridge till you get home. Preheat the oven according to your "meats" directions, cover with the sauce mix and bake, place on top of pasta and spoon any extra sauce on top.


Normally for my "variation" I use 
1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 can crushed tomatoes
1 small can tomato sauce
red pepper flakes
garlic powder
Italian seasonings


This morning however I was still obviously a little asleep (and of course running a bit behind, again) as i forgot some of the seasonings to make it a bit more spicy! 

2 comments:

  1. This picture could easily be on the cover of a recipe book!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I think I can do this! It looks so yummy too.

    Also, I love the fall photos at the top of your blog now.

    ReplyDelete