Sunday, September 5, 2010

Pickled Zucchini -Italian style

The husband got called out to work tonight, so I figured what better way to spend the evening than to pickle some Zucchini? First I want to try them and second to give him a break from any of the canning since I plan to tackle tomatoes and applesauce soon...


Well I will admit he got home right as I was preparing to pack the jars and put them into the water bath, he offered straight away to help but I "wasn't ready  quite yet". Sneaky me got them into the water bath and when he came in to check on me (apparently I had been too quiet) he was shocked to see them in already *smirk*


Without further ado here is the recipe and method. I am counting on my followers to be somewhat familiar with canning so forgive me for some steps being less defined than what is preferable...

Ingredients:
4 lbs summer squash and or Zucchini
1 large onion chopped
1/2 cup pickling salt
6 garlic cloves halved
4 sups distilled white vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
12 tbs dried oregano
1 tsp black peppercorns
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp dried thyme
1 bay leaf crumbled
Pint jars (7)




Rinse squash and trim the ends. Cut into wedges 1 inch shorter that the top of the jar.
Toss the squash, onion and salt in a large bowl and then cover with cold water. Allow to sit for 2 hours then rinse, thoroughly

While squash mixture is "Curing" clean and sterilize 7 jars.

Bring in a medium non reactive saucepan vinegar, sugar and seasonings to a boil.

Pack squash into 7 clean and hot pint sized jars and split garlic. Ladle brine over the squash and cover by 1/2" inch leaving 1/2 inch of head space from the top of the liquid to the lid.

Using the "water bath method" process jars for 30 minutes (timer starts when water is boiling). Allow to set in the canner with the heat and lid off for an additional 5 minutes. Transfer to a towel and let stand overnight. Check seals and store in a cool dark place for up to one year.

Check back in a few months for our review.
 

This recipe was taken from " Put 'em up" by Sherri Brooks Vinton

3 comments:

  1. your blog is looking fancier and fancier each time I check in! how do you arrange photos/words left/right? Looks great - your photos are so artistic.

    We ate fresh homemade pasta tonight - I didn't make it though - from the farmers market: basil/goat cheese w/ a fresh pesto/lemongrass sauce. Heavenly. Oh, and your suggestion to cook the taco meat in light beer was great. we loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so love zucchini! You must have a huge stash of canned items by now:) I wanted to add my picture to my comments, but I don't know how to do it....

    ReplyDelete
  3. OO yum Tiff! And I am glad the beer tip helped...
    As far as arranging all I can say is that I tend to type everything first and then add pictures and I move the pictures around until I like where they are... does that help at all?

    23 pints of Hot pickles
    6 pints Zucchini
    6 pints carrots
    1 pint pickled beets (thanks Momma Dee)

    Next is applesauce and tomatoes!

    I am not sure how to do it either mom... maybe T or Sarah know?

    ReplyDelete