Thursday, September 16, 2010

Gluck (Omni picture at the end)

Sounds appealing doesn't it? *snicker* Not so much I know, I had the same thought the first time Rodney made it for me. However, it's delicious, or at least, I used to think it was when I ate meat. Now he makes it for him. I was going to make myself a vegan/vegetarian version but I decided I was too tired and wasn't really hungry so instead i picked at the potatoes in the pot and called it a night *grin*


My beloved is still working on making this taste like his Aunt Elise's but this is what he did last night.
I'm adding the tag vegetarian cause it would be if you left out the bacon..


Ingredients;
about 5 lbs potatoes peeled and cubed
2 cans spinach
about 1/2 block cheese (cheddar)
1/4 stick of butter
dash of milk
salt (he used Johnnys)
pepper
*a dash of worchestshire sauce - optional
*Bacon - optional


Wash. peel and cut potatoes, add to boiling water and cook until tender (a little more than you would for potato salad, less then for mashed). Add in butter, salt, pepper, and any other seasonings you might like and just enough milk to mush (not mash) them coarsely.
Shred cheese
Drain spinach (not too much though, you will want some of the juices)
If using bacon slice and cook (not all the way, but mostly done)


Preheat over to 350* F.
Layer half the potatoes into a casserole dish (and try to prevent your wife from eating the rest *grin*)











layer in the two cans of spinach and pat down










Layer the remaining potatoes over the spinach being very careful not to disturb the spinach too much and cause it to come to the top.










Layer with cheese and then bacon if using.












Bake in the oven about 30 minutes (or until the cheese is bubbly) and then remove from heat and allow to set about 20 minutes.
I forgot to take a picture of the finished product (mainly because I was stuffing my face with potatoes and then  sleeping). If you like the 3 main ingredients you will love this I am sure.


When I make it for myself I prefer no bacon, hemp milk and EB (instead of butter and milk) and I love to add steamed veggies (like broccoli, cauliflower, carrots...) and canned (corn, green beans ...) on top of the spinach and if I use cheese I like sharp.

No comments:

Post a Comment