Saturday, January 4, 2014

Budget Cooking

So it has come to my attention there are a lot better ways I could be managing this blog (for example updating every other day like I used to). It has also become blaringly important that I start really reigning in my grocery bill.

So enter the Solution. Or one I hope to begin to implement.

I plan to start cooking on a secured grocery budget. My starting point is $100 a week, I am hopefully going to be getting that even lower, but considering right now I easily spend $150 a week for our little family of 3.5. I figure loosing $50 a week is a great place to start.

So what did I do, I went to the library and picked up some books on eating HEALTHY and cheap. You know that oxymoron the tabloids want you to think is, well an oxymoron. "No way to eat cheap and healthy" my booty. I know, for a fact, when I was 100% vegetarian our grocery bill looked no worse, probably better actually and we were healthy, I did still buy meat and dairy (you know for the man) but still I know we felt better, were leaner and saved money.

So far I have picked up "The $5 Dinner Mom" and "Eat Vegan on $4 a day". Vegan you may ask? Yes. I am a firm believer that plant based diets (while not exclusively plant based) are your best bet, most Americans just plain don't eat enough vegetables. Also, I did just purchase a 1/4 grass fed organic cow (244 lbs remember?) So I need some cheap healthy meal ideas to pair that grass fed beefyness with.

Anyhow. Long babble. Since I have a lot of ingredients on hand it's going to take me some time to know how much a cup of flour really costs (ya know?) BUT I do plan to list my grocery list, its cost and cost per item if I can. I will also try to specify what things I already had on hand

This week will be a little rough as I already tossed my receipt from yesterday, I'll do my best to write it all down from memory but the cost will be total not per item. Also there will be two separate shopping trips, as we went yesterday and I will go to get remaining ingredients later in the week. I'll also add how much I stuck to the plan the following week. I must admit I am NOT a couponer, I wish I was, but I'm not. Probably mostly due to the store I most frequently shopped at for the last 7 years doesn't do double coupons, if it's already on sale, that's that. I imagine WINCO might allow double coupons? (or rather coupons on top of sales) so if they do my goal is to start utilizing them. Also trying to decide if using Bountiful Baskets will be a cost saver or not.

Breakfasts:
Green Smoothies
Cereal
Eggs
Pancakes

Lunches:
Left Overs
Mac and Cheese
PB and J
Hot Dogs

Dinner Menu:
Gluck
Broccoli Topped Potatoes
Mexican Rice
Mexican Bean Soup
Grilled Zucchini and Asparagus Lasagna

Friday's grocery trip:
2 Cases Water
2 Cans Chili
2 Packages  Cheese Franks
1 Pack Bacon
1 10 lb bag white potatoes
3 cans spinach
1 Baby Loaf Cheddar cheese
1 Electrolyte Juice
1 Gallon Whole Milk
1 Dozen eggs
1 Loaf Wheat Bread
1 Pack Hot dog Buns
1 32 oz Coffee Creamer

Total: $52.40

Remaining Grocery List:
1 lb Asparagus
1 lb Zucchini
1 Can beans
Some fruit and veggies for sides and snacks

Price of remaining list to be added once I shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment