Wednesday, December 18, 2013

African Inspired Sweet Potato Peanut soup

OK, it's time I admit I'm sick of eating copious amounts of not healthy food. So we decided to try to "clean up" the menu a bit, by "we" I mean me. We are still going to have those easy to eat horrible for you meals but we are also adding loads of healthier options to the menu. Not so Ironically our 2.5 year old enjoys these recipes, sometimes more than the "campbells" quickies that so many kiddos love. He certainly likes making these more.

Water or olive oil for saute
1 large (I have HUGE) yellow onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 red bell peppers, chopped
1 TBS brown sugar
1 tsp minced fresh ginger
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 cup peanut butter
2 sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
1 can white beans, rinsed and drained
1 can diced tomatoes
4 cups vegetable stock (imagine NO chicken chicken broth is my favorite)
salt and pepper to taste

Method:
Saute onions and garlic in a large soup pot until soft. Add bell peppers and cook about 5 more minutes, stir in ALL seasonings (sugar through cayenne) and coat veggies, then stir in peanut butter. Add all remaining ingredients and cook about 30 minutes or until soft, I blended about 2/3 for my Mr's (neither of which care for a lot of chewing) and it was SO good.

Sounds like a lot of work? Just chop the veggies, then add all seasonings to the same bowl. That reduces so much "work" the other part is knowing it's nutritious and delicious and will feed you for days!

No comments:

Post a Comment