Monday, April 11, 2011

Spaghetti in a Lemon Cream Sauce

I love my pasta, but every now and again I want a new and exciting sauce to enjoy it with. It's spring time, so enter lemon. Mainly another idea I stole from "The Vegetarian Times", go figure *wink*

* This recipe could easily be made vegan/dairy free by using a vegan cream cheese instead of dairy and Gluten free by using GF pasta.

Ingredients: 
Dry or home made spaghetti noodles
1/2 cup light cream cheese
1/2 Large lemon juiced (about 2 TBS) and the zest from the whole lemon
1/4 cup chopped parsley - I found fresh parsley to be too expensive right now so I added dried to taste
*the original recipe called for 2 Tbs oil, I simply forgot to add it.

Method:
Cook pasta according to directions
In a sauce pan over low heat, combine cream cheese, and lemon juice (if you remember the oil, it goes in here)
Drain pasta reserving a portion of the cooking water (1/2 cup or so)
Add reserved water to the cream cheese mixture
Toss in pasta, lemon zest and parsley, toss to coat
Season with salt and pepper as desired

*all in all prep and cook time was really only as long as it takes to boil water and cook noodles in it. I am having this in two "large" portions. Probably teo adult sized ones, perhaps you could add a salad if you need it but neither of us eat very large portions. The sauce easily could have covered more noodles, in fact probably at least 1/3 more if not double.

Okay I tasted the sauce 3 maybe 4 times and was REALLY worried. Super lemony and man I just wasn't feeling it. However I proceeded to the final step, adding in sea salt and black pepper. Man was I THRILLED when the finished product hit my tongue. The flavor was light and fresh but rich and creamy all at the same time. The flavor was better that I could have imagined, and certainly nothing like the pre-taste I had.

I had planned to let the omni hubby try some, but I think he will have to wait as I want all the left overs for lunch tomorrow!

Go ahead and try this one, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. If you taste the sauce ahead of time, know that the starch from the noodles, and the salt, pepper and parsley add a wonderful contrast to the lemon flavor. This one is a keeper.

2 comments: