Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Jamaican Bean Bake

I saw this recipe and thought "hmm I had better give this a try!" We have never worked with Jerk seasoning so this ought to be fun. AND I actually followed this recipe to a T

Ingredients:
2 TBS Olive Oil
2 Cans Beans, rinsed and drained
1 Can Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies, along with juices
1 Can Yellow Corn, drained and rinsed (or about 1.5 cups frozen, thawed, or fresh)
1/2 Tsp Jerk seasoning (or more to taste)
1/2 Tsp Salt divided
1/8 Tsp Ground Black Pepper
1/2 Cup All Purpose Flour
1/2 Cup Yellow Cornmeal
1 TBS Sugar
1 1/4 Tsp Baking Powder
2/3 Cup Coconut Milk

Method:
Preheat oven to 350*F. Lightly grease a baking dish



In a bowl, combine; beans, diced tomatoes with juices, corn, jerk seasoning 1/4 tsp salt and the pepper. Adjusting the jerk seasoning to taste. Spread into the bottom of your baking dish.

Whisk flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and remaining salt in another bowl. Add coconut milk and oil and mix until just blended. DO NOT OVER MIX.



Spread batter over bean mix and bake, uncovered for about 30 minutes or until topping is lightly browning and a toothpick inserted comes out clean (of the bread of course *wink*)

All in all it wasn't bad, I really liked the seasonings. I thought my cornbread topping turned out a little.. less sweet than I would have liked, next time I think I'll replace 1 TBS of oil for honey (making it vegetarian and no longer vegan).

No comments:

Post a Comment