Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Bean... bake (dinner out of a can?)

For lack of a better term I suppose the title "bean bake" will have to do.


Now let me restate that I am not one for spontaneity. However the DH had class last night, which I apparently forgot all about. So I couldn't very well make a huge dinner for just me! 


Enter beans. Iron and protein rich, and filling. Oh and I forgot to mention  the whole dish is darn near out of a can, which makes it VERY easy.


Ingredients:
1 can beans drained and rinsed (I used red and organic)
1 can diced tomatoes with chipotle peppers in adobo (again organic)
1 can sweet corn drained and rinsed (organic, noticing a trend?)
1/2 cup Kashi 7 whole grain pilaf (or rice I was going for "whole grains")
2 tortillas (I used organic sprouted wheat..)
**taco seasoning, optional


Placed 2 cups water into a small sauce pan and brought to a boil, added 1/2 cup Kashi 7 grain mix and cooked for 25 minutes, rinsed in cool water.


Drain and rinse all canned goods (aside from the tomatoes). Empty all cans into a medium skillet or saucepan and begin to heat. once heated add in grain mix and if using taco seasoning.








Using the broiler "toast" one tortilla, place that one of the bottom, spoon filling onto it and top with second tortilla, place entire "pie" into the oven and toast up the top tortilla (about 3 minutes). slice and enjoy! 


I dipped mine into my chipotle cashew cream. It may not be ther "prettiest" dish but boy was it pure vegan heaven. Packed with protein, iron, and whole grains, not to mention limited ingredients really.


Since there were so many left overs, I simply spooned into a left over container to enjoy as a "stew" for lunch today. This would make a great burrito filling or filling for a Mexican lasagna.

1 comment:

  1. I don't usually like beans, but that looks great, especially with the tortillas!

    ReplyDelete